Mac and Cheese - Was/Is so good.
1 box (1 pound) penne rigate
1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Asiago or Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Heat over to 350. Coat a 2 quart broiler safe oval baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
3. Once water boils, add penne. Cook 6 minutes then drain.
4. In a large bowl toss together the cheddar, Gruyere and Asiago. Set Aside.
5. Meanwhile, melt butter in medium size saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and slightly bubbly. In a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in onion powder, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in 2 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture.
6. In pasta pot, stir together the cooked penne and the cheese sauce. Pour half into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the cheese. Spoon remaining penne into dish and top with remaining cheese.
7. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Increase over temperature to broil and cook 3 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.